Researchers at different universities in Iran examined the effects of Rhazes tablet — an herbal medicine made from Colchicum autumnalis –– on lower back pain (LBP). They reported their findings in an article published in the International Journal of Ayurvedic Medicine.
- LBP is one of the most common symptoms of some of the most costly chronic diseases.
- Persian medicine recommends the use of herbal remedies based on C. autumnalis — such as Rhazes tablet — to treat LBP.
- To determine if Rhazes tablet can relieve LBP, the researchers recruited 50 patients aged 19 to 59 years who had been suffering from chronic LBP for more than 12 weeks.
- They divided the patients into two groups, namely the intervention group (n=26) and the control group (n=24).
- The former received Rhazes tablet + ibuprofen (400 mg), while the latter received placebo + Ibuprofen (400 mg).
- On the first week, the patients received only one tablet, then two tablets from week 2 to week 4 and three tablets from week 5 to week 8.
- The researchers measured pain severity using VAS and the Roland-Morris Disability Questionnaire on weeks 0, 4 and 8.
- Results showed that, compared with the control group, the intervention group experienced a significant reduction in LBP.
- Taking the Rhazes tablet for eight weeks also reduced pain severity in patients suffering from severe pain.
- From 50 percent on the first visit, pain severity decreased to 15.4 percent on the third visit.
- In contrast, pain severity increased from 20 percent to 25 percent in the control group.
- In addition, on week 5, one of the patients developed severe diarrhea, which only decreased in severity after the dosage for Rhazes tablet was reduced.
- Meanwhile, a man experienced increased libido on week 4 of treatment.
Based on these findings, the researchers concluded that Rhazes tablet can be used to reduce pain in patients with low back pain.
Malek VG, Parvari S, Rouhani Y, Jafari F, Rahimi R, Abbassian A. EFFICACY OF A TRADITIONAL HERBAL FORMULA BASED ON COLCHICUM AUTUMNALE L. (RHAZES TABLET) IN LOW BACK PAIN: A RANDOMIZED CONTROLLED CLINICAL TRIAL. International Journal of Ayurvedic Medicine. 2019;10(1):27-33